- a document conferring a qualification, recording success in examinations or successful completion of a course of study
- an official document that confers an honour or privilege
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- /-mətə/.USA pronunciation
- Educationa document given by an educational institution granting a degree.
- Educationa document given by an educational institution conferring a degree on a person or certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed a course of study.
- a document conferring some honor, privilege, or power.
- a public or official document, esp. one of historical interest:a diploma from Carolingian times.
- Educationto grant or award a diploma to.
- Greek díplōma a letter folded double, equivalent. to diplō-, variant stem of diploûn to double (derivative of diplóos; see diplo-) + -ma suffix of result
- Latin diplōma a letter of recommendation, an official document