- unfair treatment of a person, racial group, minority, etc; action based on prejudice
- subtle appreciation in matters of taste
- the ability to see fine distinctions and differences
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- an act or instance of discriminating.
- Sociologytreatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
- the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment:She chose the colors with great discrimination.
- [Archaic.]something that serves to differentiate.
- Latin discrīminātiōn- (stem of discrīminātiō) a distinguishing. See discriminate, -ion