WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- of doubtful quality;
uncertain in opinion;
hesitant:dubious about our chances of success.
marked by or occasioning doubt:a dubious reply.
- of doubtful quality or propriety;
questionable:a dubious compliment; a dubious transaction.
- of uncertain outcome:in dubious battle.
- wavering or hesitating in opinion;
inclined to doubt.
- Latin dubius; see -ous
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged equivocal, ambiguous, obscure, unclear.
- 4.See corresponding entry in Unabridged undecided, uncertain, hesitant, fluctuating. See doubtful.