(el′dər), adj. [a compar. of]old witheldest as superl.
- of greater age;
- of higher rank;
senior:an elder officer.
- of or pertaining to former times; earlier:Much that was forbidden by elder custom is accepted today.
- a person who is older or higher in rank than oneself.
- an aged person.
- Anthropology, Sociologyan influential member of a tribe or community, often a chief or ruler;
- Religiona presbyter.
- Religion(in certain Protestant churches) a lay member who is a governing officer, often assisting the pastor in services.
- Religion[Mormon Ch.]a member of the Melchizedek priesthood.
1 . See older.
1 . younger.
Old English eldra, comparative of eald old
- Plant Biologyany tree or shrub belonging to the genus Sambucus, of the honeysuckle family, having pinnate leaves, clusters of white flowers, and red or black, berrylike fruit.
Middle English eldre, elrene, ellerne, Old English ellærn;
cognate with Middle Low German ellern