- the omission of a syllable or vowel at the beginning or end of a word, esp when a word ending with a vowel is next to one beginning with a vowel
- any omission of a part or parts
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Linguistics, Phoneticsthe omission of a vowel, consonant, or syllable in pronunciation.
- Literature, Poetry(in verse) the omission of a vowel at the end of one word when the next word begins with a vowel, as th'orient.
- an act or instance of eliding or omitting anything.
- Latin ēlīsiōn- (stem of ēlīsiō) a striking out, equivalent. to ēlīs(us) (past participle of ēlīdere; see elide) + -iōn- -ion