- an obsolete unit of length equal to approximately 45 inches
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- an extension usually at right angles to one end of a building.
- elbow (def. 5).
- something that is
- a spelling, spelled of the letter name, or by shortening of elbow 1765–75
ell2 (el),USA pronunciation n.
- Weights and Measuresa former measure of length, varying in different countries: in England equal to 45 in. (114 cm).
- bef. 950; Middle English, Old English eln; cognate with Old Norse eln, Old High German elina, Gothic aleina, Latin ulna, Greek ōlénē. See elbow