- the act or art of entertaining or state of being entertained
- an act, production, etc, that entertains; diversion; amusement
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- [uncountable] the act of entertaining, as by providing food and hospitality to guests.
distraction from one's regular thoughts:[uncountable]What do you do for entertainment?
- something affording pleasure or amusement:[countable]plays, concerts, and other entertainments.
- the act of entertaining;
agreeable occupation for the mind;
amusement:Solving the daily crossword puzzle is an entertainment for many.
- Fine Art, Literaturesomething affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind:The highlight of the ball was an elaborate entertainment.
- hospitable provision for the needs and wants of guests.
- Literaturea divertingly adventurous, comic, or picaresque novel.
- [Obs.]maintenance in service.
- entertain + -ment 1525–35