- adoption or support: an espousal of new beliefs
- (sometimes plural) archaic a marriage or betrothal ceremony
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- adoption or advocacy, as of a cause or principle.
- Sometimes, espousals.
- a marriage ceremony.
- an engagement or betrothal celebration.
- Latin spōnsālia (noun, nominal use of neuter plural of spōnsālis), equivalent. to spōns( us) spouse + -ālia -al2
- Middle French, Old French espousailles
- Middle English espousaille 1275–1325