WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
e•van•gel•i•cal /ˌivænˈdʒɛlɪkəl, ˌɛvən-/USA pronunciation
Religiona person who belongs to an evangelical church or organization.
- Religionrelating to or in keeping with the Gospels.
- Religionbelonging to or referring to the Christian churches that emphasize the authority of the Scriptures and personal conversion through faith in Christ.
- Religionhaving strong or intense enthusiasm for a cause.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
evangelical /ˌiːvænˈdʒɛlɪkəl/ adj
- of, based upon, or following from the Gospels
- denoting or relating to any of certain Protestant sects or parties, which emphasize the importance of personal conversion and faith in atonement through the death of Christ as a means of salvation
- another word for evangelistic
ˌevanˈgelicalism n ˌevanˈgelically adv
- an upholder of evangelical doctrines or a member of an evangelical sect or party, esp the Low-Church party of the Church of England
'evangelical' also found in these entries: