WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
e•van•gel•i•cal /ˌivænˈdʒɛlɪkəl, ˌɛvən-/USA pronunciation
adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Religionrelating to or in keeping with the Gospels.
- Religionbelonging to or referring to the Christian churches that emphasize the authority of the Scriptures and personal conversion through faith in Christ.
- Religionhaving strong or intense enthusiasm for a cause.
e•van•gel•i•cal•ism, n. [uncountable]
- Religiona person who belongs to an evangelical church or organization.
(ē′van jel′i kəl, ev′ən-),USA pronunciation adj.
- Also, e′van•gel′ic.
- Religionpertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
- Religionbelonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, esp. of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
- Theology, Religiondesignating Christians, esp. of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
- Religionpertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.
- Religionmarked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.
e′van•gel′i•cal•ness, e′van•gel′i•cal′i•ty, n.
- Religionan adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.
- Late Greek euangelikós; see evangel1, -ic) + -al1
- Late Latin evangelicus (
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
evangelical /ˌiːvænˈdʒɛlɪkəl/ adj
- of, based upon, or following from the Gospels
- denoting or relating to any of certain Protestant sects or parties, which emphasize the importance of personal conversion and faith in atonement through the death of Christ as a means of salvation
- another word for evangelistic
ˌevanˈgelicalism n ˌevanˈgelically adv
- an upholder of evangelical doctrines or a member of an evangelical sect or party, esp the Low-Church party of the Church of England
'evangelical' also found in these entries: