- special skill, knowledge, or judgment; expertness
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- expert skill or knowledge.
- expert skill or knowledge;
- a written opinion by an expert, as concerning the authenticity or value of a work of art, manuscript, etc.
- French: survey, report (made by experts); -ise taken as an abstract noun, nominal suffix. See expert, -ise2
ex•pert•ise2 (ek′spər tīz′),USA pronunciation v.t., v.i., -ised, -ising. [Chiefly Brit.]
- British Termsexpertize.
- to study or investigate as an expert.
- expert + -ize 1885–90