- an elaborately staged and costumed light entertainment
- any lavish or fanciful display, literary or other composition, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Show Businessa lavish or elaborate show, production, event, or entertainment.
- Music and Dance, Show Businessa musical or dramatic composition or production, as comic opera or musical comedy, marked by a loose structure, a frivolous theme, and elaborate costuming and staging.
- any lavish or opulent show, event, assemblage, etc.:an extravaganza of new housewares on the twelfth floor.
- alteration of Italian (e)stravaganza extravagance 1745–55