- the longest thickest bone of the human skeleton, articulating with the pelvis above and the knee below
Nontechnical name: thighbone
- the corresponding bone in other vertebrates
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
(fem′ər ə).USA pronunciation
- Anatomya bone in the human leg extending from the pelvis to the knee, that is the longest, largest, and strongest in the body;
thighbone. See diag. under skeleton.
- Zoologya corresponding bone of the leg or hind limb of an animal.
- Insects[Entomol.]the third segment of the leg of an insect (counting from the base), situated between the trochanter and the tibia. See diag. under coxa.
- Latin: thigh