- a day or period set aside for celebration or feasting, esp one of religious significance
- any occasion for celebration, esp one which commemorates an anniversary or other significant event
- an organized series of special events and performances, usually in one place: a festival of drama
- archaic a time of revelry; merrymaking
- (modifier) relating to or characteristic of a festival
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a day or time of religious or other celebration, marked by ceremonies and feasting:the May festival.
- a period or program of festive activities, cultural events, or entertainment:a music and art festival.
- a day or time of religious or other celebration, marked by feasting, ceremonies, or other observances:the festival of Christmas; a Roman festival.
- a periodic commemoration, anniversary, or celebration:an annual strawberry festival.
- a period or program of festive activities, cultural events, or entertainment:a music festival.
- festal:a festival atmosphere of unrestrained joy.
- Medieval Latin fēstivālis (diēs) holy (day). See festive, -al1
- Middle English 1300–50