- (in feudal Europe) the property or fee granted to a vassal for his maintenance by his lord in return for service
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- World Historya fee or feud held of a feudal lord;
a tenure of land subject to feudal obligations.
- World Historya territory held in fee.
- World Historyfiefdom.
- Gmc; compare Old High German fihu, Old English feoh cattle, property; akin to Latin pecū flock of sheep, pecus cattle, pecūnia wealth
- French, variant of Old French fieu, fie, cognate with Anglo-French fe fee