- an open pastry or sponge tart filled with fruit or a savoury mixture
- a piece of metal ready to receive the die or stamp in the production of coins; shaped blank; planchet
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
for 2 also Fr. flän),
n., pl. flans (flanz, flänz; for 2 also Fr. flän);
- Food[Spanish Cookery.]a dessert of sweetened egg custard with a caramel topping.
- Foodan open, tartlike pastry, the shell of which is baked in a bottomless band of metal(flan ring)on a baking sheet, removed from the ring and filled with custard, cream, fruit, etc.
- Currencya piece of metal shaped ready to form a coin, but not yet stamped by the die.
- Currencythe metal of which a coin is made, as distinct from its design.
- Gmc; compare Old High German flado (German Fladen) flat cake
- Late Latin fladōn-, stem of fladō
- French; Old French flaon