- the green leaves of a plant
- sprays of leaves used for decoration
- an ornamental leaflike design
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Botanyleaves, as of a tree or plant:beautiful autumn foliage in upstate New York.
- Botanythe leaves of a plant, collectively;
- Botanyleaves in general.
- the representation of leaves, flowers, and branches in painting, architectural ornament, etc.
- Middle French fueillage, foillage, derivative of feuille leaf; influenced by Latin folium folium. See foil2, -age
- late Middle English foilage 1400–50