- to make or become fresh or fresher
- (often followed by up) to refresh (oneself), esp by washing
- (intransitive) (of the wind) to increase
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- to (cause to) become or grow fresh or refreshed: [no object]Her interest in basketball freshened when she saw who was on the team.[~ + object]Freshen the air with flowers.
- freshen up, to (cause to) become fresh in appearance: [no object]to freshen up with a bath.[~ + object + up]freshened herself up and joined the party.[~ + up + object]The housekeeper freshened up the room.