ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
(fŏŏl fil′), v.t., -filled, -fil•ling. WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
ful•fill or ful•fil /fʊlˈfɪl/USA pronunciation
v. [~ + object],-filled, -fill•ing or -fil•ling. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
ful•fill•ment, n. [uncountable]
- to carry out or bring to realization:The dream of a world without war is yet to be fulfilled.
- to perform or do, such as duty; obey or follow, such as commands:ability to fulfill the job.
- to satisfy (requirements, needs, obligations, etc.):That book will fulfill a long-felt need.
- [~ + oneself] to develop the full potential of (oneself).
(fŏŏl fil′), v.t.
- to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise.
- to perform or do, as duty;
obey or follow, as commands.
- to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.):a book that fulfills a long-felt need.
- to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time:He felt that life was over when one had fulfilled his threescore years and ten.
- to develop the full potential of (usually used reflexively):She realized that she could never fulfill herself in such work.
1 . accomplish, achieve, complete, realize. 2 . execute, discharge, observe. 3 . meet, answer, fill, comply with. 4 . end, terminate, conclude.
- Middle English fulfillen, Old English fulfyllan. See full1, fill bef. 1000
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
fulfil, US fulfill /fʊlˈfɪl/ vb ( -fils) ( US -fills, -filling, -filled)(transitive)
Etymology: Old English fulfyllanfulˈfilment, US fulˈfillment n
- to bring about the completion or achievement of (a desire, promise, etc)
- to carry out or execute (a request, etc)
- to conform with or satisfy (regulations, demands, etc)
- to finish or reach the end of
- fulfil oneself ⇒ to achieve one's potential or desires
'fulfillment' also found in these entries: