ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here.

WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
fur•ni•ture /ˈfɜrnɪtʃɚ/USA pronunciation   n. [uncountable]
  1. Furnituremovable articles, such as tables, chairs, or cabinets, required for use or ornament in a house, office, or the like.

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
fur•ni•ture  (fûrni chər),USA pronunciation n. 
  1. Furniturethe movable articles, as tables, chairs, desks or cabinets, required for use or ornament in a house, office, or the like.
  2. fittings, apparatus, or necessary accessories for something.
  3. Architectureequipment for streets and other public areas, as lighting standards, signs, benches, or litter bins.
  4. PrintingAlso called  bearer, dead metal. pieces of wood or metal, less than type high, set in and about pages of type to fill them out and hold the type in place in a chase.
furni•ture•less, adj. 
  • French fourniture, derivative of fournir to furnish
  • 1520–30

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

furniture /ˈfɜːnɪtʃə/ n
  1. the movable, generally functional, articles that equip a room, house, etc
  2. the equipment necessary for a ship, factory, etc
  3. lengths of wood, plastic, or metal, used in assembling formes to create the blank areas and to surround the type
  4. See door furniture, street furniture
Etymology: 16th Century: from French fourniture, from fournir to equip, furnish

'furniture' also found in these entries:

Word of the day: crop

Report an inappropriate ad.