- worthless, useless, or unwanted matter
- Also called: rubbish discarded or waste matter; refuse
- invalid data
- informal nonsense
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- matter that has been discarded, esp. food waste;
- anything contemptibly worthless, inferior, or vile.
- Computingmeaningless or unwanted computer data.
- discarded animal and vegetable matter, as from a kitchen;
- any matter that is no longer wanted or needed;
- anything that is contemptibly worthless, inferior, or vile:There's nothing but garbage on TV tonight.
- worthless talk;
- Slang Termsany unnecessary item added to something else, as for appearance only;
garnish:I'll have an Old Fashioned, but without the garbage.
- Aerospaceuseless artificial satellites or parts of rockets floating in space, as satellites that are no longer transmitting information or rocket boosters jettisoned in flight.
- Computingmeaningless or unwanted data:That program was not properly debugged and produced nothing but garbage.
- Anglo-French, Old French; see garble, -age) or Old French garbage tax on sheaves of grain, though shift of sense, and form in first case, is unclear
- 1400–50; late Middle English: discarded parts of butchered fowls; compared with garbelage the removal of waste from spices (
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged litter, refuse, junk, rubbish.