WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
gay /geɪ/USA pronunciation
adj., -er, -est,n.
having or showing a merry, lively mood:in gay spirits.
bright, showy, or attractive:gay colors.
[often: be + ~] homosexual.
[before a noun] indicating or relating to homosexual interests or issues:a gay organization.
a homosexual person, esp. a male.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
gay /ɡeɪ/ adj
- of or for homosexuals: a gay club
- carefree and merry: a gay temperament
- brightly coloured; brilliant: a gay hat
- given to pleasure, esp in social entertainment: a gay life
Etymology: 13th Century: from Old French gai, from Old Provençal, of Germanic originˈgayness n USAGE
- a homosexual
Gayness is the word used to refer to homosexuality. The noun which refers to being carefree and merry is gaiety
Gay /ɡeɪ/ n
- John. 1685–1732, English poet and dramatist; author of The Beggar's Opera (1728)
'gay' also found in these entries: