- a member of the police force in France or in countries formerly influenced or controlled by France
- a sharp pinnacle of rock on a mountain ridge, esp in the Alps
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
Governmenta police officer in some European countries, esp. France.
n., pl. -darmes
(-därmz; Fr. -darm′).
- Governmenta police officer in any of several European countries, esp. a French police officer.
- Militarya soldier, esp. in France, serving in an army group acting as armed police with authority over civilians.
- Military(formerly) a cavalryman in charge of a French cavalry squad.
- Middle French, earlier gens d'armes, alteration of gent d'armes people at arms