- kind, category, or sort, esp of literary or artistic work
- (as modifier): genre fiction
- a category of painting in which domestic scenes or incidents from everyday life are depicted
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Literaturea class or category of art, music, or writing in which objects produced have a consistent form, content, or technique.
n., pl. -res (-rəz; Fr. -rə),
- Literaturea class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like:the genre of epic poetry; the genre of symphonic music.
- paintings in which scenes of everyday life form the subject matter.
- a realistic style of painting using such subject matter.
- Fine Art[Fine Arts.]of or pertaining to genre.
- Literatureof or pertaining to a distinctive literary type.
- French: kind, sort; see gender1