- archaic a woman regarded as being of good family or breeding; lady
- a woman in personal attendance on a high-ranking lady
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a woman of good family, breeding, or social position
- a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered woman;
- a woman who attends upon a lady of rank.
- Governmenta female member of the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives:The chair recognizes the gentlewoman from Maine.
- 1200–50; Middle English; see gentle, woman