WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- an escape:The thieves made a clean getaway.
- a short vacation.
- a place for a vacation:The shore is their favorite getaway.
- a getting away or fleeing;
- the start of a race:a fast getaway.
- a place where one escapes for relaxation, vacation, etc., or a period of time for such recreation:a little seaside getaway; a two-week getaway in the Bahamas.
- used as a means of escape or fleeing:a stolen getaway car.
- used for occasional relaxation, retreat, or reclusion:a weekend getaway house.
- noun, nominal use of verb, verbal phrase get away 1850–55