- an alcoholic drink obtained by distillation and rectification of the grain of malted barley, rye, or maize, flavoured with juniper berries
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
a clear, colorless alcoholic liquor distilled with juniper berries and other flavorings: [uncountable]bought some gin.[countable]bought a gin and tonic.
- Also calledgin rummy.
ginrummya card game, a variety of rummy for two players.
- a hand in this game in which the cards are matched in sets, winning extra points.
- a primitive engine in which a vertical shaft is turned by horses driving a horizontal beam or yoke in a circle
- Also called: cotton gin a machine of this type used for separating seeds from raw cotton
- a trap for catching small mammals, consisting of a noose of thin strong wire
- to free (cotton) of seeds with a gin
- to trap or snare (game) with a gin
- an archaic word for begin
- Austral offensive slang an Aboriginal woman