WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
girl /gɝl/USA pronunciation
a female child, from birth to full growth.
Sex and Gendera young, immature woman, esp., formerly, an unmarried one:All the girls of the village came out to see the stranger.
a daughter:My wife and I have two girls.
[Often Offensive.]a grown woman:Who's the girl waiting on our table?
Sex and Gendergirlfriend; sweetheart:had a girl in every port.
girl•hood, n. [uncountable]
- a female employee:I'll have my girl call your office.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
girl /ɡɜːl/ n
Etymology: 13th Century: of uncertain origin; perhaps related to Low German Göre boy, girl
- a female child from birth to young womanhood
- a young unmarried woman; lass; maid
- informal a sweetheart or girlfriend
- informal a woman of any age
- a female employee, esp a female servant
- South African derogatory a Black female servant of any age
'girl' also found in these entries: