ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here.

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
glume  (glo̅o̅m), 
n. [Bot.]
  1. Botanyone of the characteristic chafflike bracts of the inflorescence of grasses, sedges, etc., esp. one of the pair of bracts at the base of a spikelet.
  • Latin glūma husk enclosing a cereal grain, probably equivalent. to glūb(ere) to strip the bark from + *-sma noun, nominal suffix
  • 1570–80
glumelike′, adj. 

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

glume /ɡluːm/ n
  1. one of a pair of dry membranous bracts at the base of the spikelet of grasses
Etymology: 18th Century: from Latin glūma husk of corn; related to Latin glūbere to remove the bark from

gluˈmaceous adj

'glume' also found in these entries:

Download free Android and iPhone apps

Android AppiPhone App

Report an inappropriate ad.