- a male godparent
- the head of a Mafia family or other organized criminal ring
- an originator or leading exponent: the godfather of South African pop
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- a man who serves as sponsor for a child, such as at a baptism.
- the head of a Mafia family;
- a man who serves as sponsor for a child at baptism.
- any male sponsor or guardian.
- (often cap.) a powerful leader, esp. of the Mafia.
- a person who is regarded as the originator or principal shaper of a movement, school of thought, art form, industry, or the like:the godfather of abstract expressionism.
- to act as godfather to;
be sponsor or protector for.
- Middle English godfader, Old English godfæder. See God, father bef. 1000