- a tropical or subtropical cultivated evergreen rutaceous tree, Citrus paradisi
- the large round edible fruit of this tree, which has yellow rind and juicy slightly bitter pulp
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Plant Biologya large, roundish, yellow-skinned citrus fruit that has a juicy, acid inside that may be eaten: [countable]Grapefruits were plentiful.[uncountable]Grapefruit is high in vitamin C.
- Plant Biology[countable] the tropical or semitropical tree yielding this fruit.
- Plant Biologya large, roundish, yellow-skinned, edible citrus fruit having a juicy, acid pulp.
- Plant Biologythe tropical or semitropical tree, Citrus paradisi, yielding this fruit.
- grape + fruit, apparently from the resemblance of its clusters to those of grapes 1805–15