- to meet or receive with expressions of gladness or welcome
- to send a message of friendship to
- to receive in a specified manner: her remarks were greeted by silence
- to become apparent to: the smell of bread greeted him
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- to speak or act in some form of welcome:greeted us at the door.
- to meet or receive:greeted my suggestion with applause.
- to make itself noticed to:Music greeted our ears.
- (intransitive) to weep; lament
- weeping; lamentation