- the act or an instance of welcoming or saluting on meeting
- (often plural) an expression of friendly salutation
- (as modifier): a greetings card
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- an act or words of welcoming: [uncountable]lifted her hand in greeting.[countable]We didn't get a very friendly greeting.
- greetings, [plural] an expression of friendly or respectful regard:sending our greetings.
- the act or words of a person who greets.
- a friendly message from someone who is absent:a greeting from a friend in another country.
- greetings, an expression of friendly or respectful regard:Send my greetings to your family.
- Middle English, Old English gretinge. See greet1, -ing1 bef. 900