WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
grid•i•ron /ˈgrɪdˌaɪɚn/USA pronunciation
- a football field.
- a utensil consisting of parallel metal bars on which to broil meat or other food.
- any framework or network resembling a gridiron.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
gridiron /ˈɡrɪdˌaɪən/ n
Often shortened to: grid Etymology: 13th Century gredire, perhaps variant (through influence of ire iron) of gredile griddle
- a utensil of parallel metal bars, used to grill meat, fish, etc
- any framework resembling this utensil
- a framework above the stage in a theatre from which suspended scenery, lights, etc, are manipulated
- the field of play in American football
- an informal name for American football
'gridiron' also found in these entries:
In the English description: