- (sometimes capital) a two-wheeled one-horse carriage with a fixed hood. The driver sits on a high outside seat at the rear
Also called: hansom cab
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Transporta low, two-wheeled, covered vehicle drawn by one horse, for two passengers, with the driver on an elevated seat behind.
- Transporta low-hung, two-wheeled, covered vehicle drawn by one horse, for two passengers, with the driver being mounted on an elevated seat behind and the reins running over the roof.
- Transportany similar horse-drawn vehicle. Also called han′som cab′.
- named after J. A. Hansom (1803–82), English architect who designed it 1850–55