- the state of being bodily and mentally vigorous and free from disease
- the general condition of body and mind: in poor health
- the condition of any unit, society, etc: the economic health of a nation
- a toast to a person, wishing him or her good health, happiness, etc
- (modifier) of or relating to food or other goods reputed to be beneficial to the health: health food, a health store
- (modifier) of or relating to health, esp to the administration of health: a health committee, health resort, health service
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Physiologythe general condition of the body or mind:She's in poor health at the moment.
- Physiology, Psychiatrythe state of being fit;
fitness of body or mind:to lose his health.
- drink to one's health, to offer a toast or a polite wish for a person's health, happiness, etc.:We drank to her health.
- Physiologythe general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor:good health; poor health.
- Physiology, Psychiatrysoundness of body or mind;
freedom from disease or ailment:to have one's health; to lose one's health.
- a polite or complimentary wish for a person's health, happiness, etc., esp. as a toast:We drank a health to our guest of honor.
- Middle English helthe, Old English hǣlth. See hale1, whole, -th1 bef. 1000
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged vigor, vitality, strength, fitness, stamina.