- Try out WordReference Random Word. Each page load will return a random word from the dictionary. Or test your knowledge and have each page load with the definition hidden!
hel•lo /hɛˈloʊ, hə-, ˈhɛloʊ/USA pronunciation
interj., n., pl. -los.
- This word is used to express a greeting, answer a telephone, or attract attention:Hello, how are you?
- This word is used to express surprise, wonder, etc.:"Hello, what's this?'' said the detective.
- an act or instance of saying "hello''; greeting:a mumbled hello.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
hello, hallo, hullo /hɛˈləʊ hə-; ˈhɛləʊ/ sentence substitute
n ( pl -los)
- an expression of greeting used on meeting a person or at the start of a telephone call
- a call used to attract attention
- an expression of surprise
- an expression used to indicate that the speaker thinks his or her listener is naive or slow to realize something: Hello? Have you been on Mars for the past two weeks or something?
Etymology: 19th Century: see hallo
- the act of saying or calling "hello"
'hello' also found in these entries:
In the English description: