- usually derogatory an unsophisticated person, esp from the mountainous areas in the southeastern US
- another name for country and western
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Slang Terms[Often Disparaging.]a person from a backwoods area.
- of or relating to hillbillies:hillbilly music.
n., pl. -lies, adj.
- Slang Terms[Often Disparaging and Offensive.]a person from a backwoods or other remote area, esp. from the mountains of the southern U.S.
- of, like, or pertaining to hillbillies:hillbilly humor.
- hill + Billy 1895–1900, American.