WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
his•tor•i•cal /hɪˈstɔrɪkəl, -ˈstɑr-/USA pronunciation
adj. [before a noun]
World Historyof, relating to, or treating history or past events:historical records.
World Historybased on or suggested by history:a historical novel.
World Historyhaving once existed or lived, as opposed to being part of legend, fiction, or religious belief:a study of the historical Jesus.
World Historyhistoric (def. 1).historic:It was a historical event.
his•tor•i•cal•ness, n. [uncountable]
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
historical /hɪˈstɒrɪkəl/ adj
- belonging to or typical of the study of history: historical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the past: historical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by history: a historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
'historical' also found in these entries: