- an additional dish served as an appetizer, usually before the main meal
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- /ɔr ˈdɝvz, ˈdɝv/.USA pronunciation
Foodfood served as an appetizer.
pl. hors d'oeuvre, hors d'oeuvres
(ôr dûrvz′; Fr. ôr dœ′vrə).
- Fooda small bit of appetizing food, as spicy meat, fish, cheese, or a preparation of chopped or creamed foods, often served on crackers or small pieces of toast, for eating at cocktail parties or other gatherings where drinks are served with no other food.
- Foodan appetizer, as a relish or more elaborate preparation, served before or as the first course of a meal.
- French: outside of the main course