ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
im•por•tance /ɪmˈpɔrtns/USA pronunciation
n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the quality or state of being important:the importance of brushing one's teeth every day.
(im pôr′tns), n.
- the quality or state of being important;
- important position or standing;
personal or social consequence.
- consequential air or manner:an air of bustling importance.
- [Obs.]an important matter.
- [Obs.]import or meaning.
1 . moment, weight, concern. Importance, consequence, significance, moment all signify something valuable, influential, or worthy of note. Importance is the most general of these, assigning exceptional or notable value or influence to a person or thing:the importance of Einstein's discoveries.Consequence may suggest outstanding personal quality or position, or it may suggest importance because of results to be produced:a woman of consequence in world affairs; an event of great consequence for our future.Significance can be used interchangeably with importance or consequence, but it carries also the implication of importance that is not readily or immediately recognized:The significance of the discovery only became clear years later.Moment, on the other hand, almost always refers to immediately apparent, self-evident importance:a change of great moment for the nation's political system.
- Medieval Latin importantia. See important, -ance
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
importance /ɪmˈpɔːtəns/ n
- the state of being important; significance
- social status; standing; esteem: a man of importance
- obsolete meaning or signification
- an important matter
'importance' also found in these entries: