- the act of improving or the state of being improved
- something that improves, esp an addition or alteration
- (usually plural) Austral NZ a building or other works on a piece of land, adding to its value
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- an act of improving or the state of being improved:[uncountable]signs of economic improvement.
- a change or addition by which a thing is improved:[countable]to make improvements on a house.
- an act of improving or the state of being improved.
- a change or addition by which a thing is improved.
- a person or thing that represents an advance on another in excellence or achievement:The new landlord is a great improvement over his greedy predecessor.
- a bringing into a more valuable or desirable condition, as of land or real property;
- something done or added to real property that increases its value.
- profitable use, as of a period of time.
- Anglo-French emprouement something profitable (especially exploitation of land). See improve, -ment
- late Middle English improuement 1400–50
- 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged refinement, betterment, advancement.
- 4.See corresponding entry in Unabridged enhancement, repair.