- the action or principle of asserting one's independence and individuality; egoism
- an individual quirk or peculiarity
- another word for laissez faire
- the doctrine that only individual things exist and that therefore classes or properties have no reality
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Sociologya social theory calling for the liberty of the individual.
- the principle or habit of independent thought or action.
- Sociologya social theory advocating the liberty, rights, or independent action of the individual.
- the principle or habit of or belief in independent thought or action.
- the pursuit of individual rather than common or collective interests;
- individual character;
- an individual peculiarity.
- the doctrine that only individual things are real.
- the doctrine or belief that all actions are determined by, or at least take place for, the benefit of the individual, not of society as a whole.
- individual + -ism 1825–35