- stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc, to special or unusual activity or creativity
- the state or quality of being so stimulated or aroused
- someone or something that causes this state
- an idea or action resulting from such a state
- the act or process of inhaling; breathing in
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- [countable] anything that inspires:The painter's inspiration came from nature.
- [countable] something inspired:She got a sudden inspiration to reverse the wires, and it worked.
- Religion[uncountable][Theol.]a divine influence felt directly by the soul:divine inspiration for writing the books of the Bible.
- Physiology[uncountable] the drawing of air into the lungs;