- the act of inviting, such as an offer of entertainment or hospitality
- (as modifier): an invitation dance, an invitation race
- the act of enticing or attracting; allurement
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [uncountable] the act of inviting.
- the written or spoken form with which a person is invited:[countable]a wedding invitation.
- something that attracts or encourages an action;
provocation:[countable]an invitation to disaster.
- the act of inviting.
- the written or spoken form with which a person is invited.
- something offered as a suggestion:an invitation to consider a business merger.
- attraction or incentive;
- a provocation:The speech was an invitation to rebellion.
- Latin invītātiōn- (stem of invītātiō), equivalent. to invītāt(us) (past participle of invītāre to invite) + -iōn- -ion