- derogatory a superficial cliché-ridden style of writing regarded as typical of newspapers
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Journalisma style of writing thought of as typical of newspapers and magazines.
- Journalisma manner of writing or speaking characterized by clichés, occasional neologism, archness, sensationalizing adjectives, unusual or faulty syntax, etc., used by some journalists, esp. certain columnists, and regarded as typical journalistic style.
- Journalismwriting or expression in this manner:Get that journalese out of your copy!
- Journalismof, pertaining to, or characterized by this manner (often used predicatively):That word's not English, it's journalese.
- journal + -ese 1880–85