- a craftsman, artisan, etc, who is qualified to work at his trade in the employment of another
- a competent workman
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a person who has served an apprenticeship to learn a trade or craft and is certified to work at it.
- a worker or performer who does good or competent work but is not exceptional:a journeyman actor.
- a person who has served an apprenticeship at a trade or handicraft and is certified to work at it assisting or under another person.
- any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer.
- a person hired to do work for another, usually for a day at a time.
- late Middle English journeman, equivalent. to journee a day's work (see journey) + man man1 1425–75