- the administration of justice
- the office, function, or power of a judge
- the extent of authority of a court or judge
- a body of judges or persons exercising judicial authority; judiciary
- a court of justice or such courts collectively
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
- the administration of justice, as by judges or courts.
- the office, function, or authority of a judge.
- the jurisdiction of a judge or court.
- a body of judges.
- the power of administering justice by legal trial and determination.
- Medieval Latin jūdicātūra, equivalent. to Latin jūdic- (see judge) + -āt(us) -ate1 + -ūra -ure