- chiefly Brit a knitted or crocheted garment covering the upper part of the body
- Also called: pinafore dress US Canadian a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse or sweater
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
jump•er2 /ˈdʒʌmpɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable] Clothinga sleeveless dress, or a skirt with a bib and straps or with an open-sided bodice, usually worn over a blouse. Clothinga loose outer jacket worn esp. by workers and sailors. British Terms, Clothing[Brit.]a pullover sweater.
- a boring tool that works by repeated impact, such as a steel bit in a hammer drill used in boring rock
- Also called: jumper cable, jumper lead a short length of wire used to make a connection, usually temporarily, between terminals or to bypass a component
- a person or animal that jumps