- another name for labdanum
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- a resinous juice that exudes from various rockroses of the genus Cistus: used in perfumery, fumigating substances, etc.
- Greek lá̄danon, akin to lêdon rockrose
- Medieval Latin, for Latin lādanum
- Middle English labdanum, lapdanum 1350–1400
- a dark resinous juice obtained from various rockroses of the genus Cistus, used in perfumery and in the manufacture of fumigants and medicinal plasters