- (in Irish folklore) a mischievous elf, often believed to have a treasure hoard
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Mythologya small elflike creature of Irish folklore, often represented as a little old man who will reveal the location of a crock of gold to anyone who catches him.
n. [Irish Folklore.]
- Mythologya dwarf or sprite.
- Mythologya conventionalized literary representation of this figure as a little old man who will reveal the location of a hidden crock of gold to anyone who catches him.
- Latin corpus) + -án diminutive suffix
- Irish leipreachán, lucharachán, Middle Irish luchrapán, lupra(c)cán, metathesized forms of Old Irish lúchorp(án), equivalent. to lú- small + corp body (